Suddenly, the claim is being made that Paolo di Canio being a fascist but not a racist or antisemite is OK

Di Canio salute delighted Mussolini

posted by: Nick Lowles | on: Thursday, 4 April 2013, 17:33

New evidence has emerged highlighting Paolo Di Canio's unsavoury links to fascism and antisemitism.

When Di Canio gave his first fascist salute to hard-line Lazio fans against their fierce local rivals Roma in December 2005, the crowd included none other than Alessandra Mussolini, granddaughter of Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini

Following the salute Alessandra Mussolini told the media “What a delightful Roman salute! I was deeply moved. I will write him a thank you note.”

Di Canio was then fined 10,000 Euros and suspended for one game by the Italian football authorities for making the fascist salute against Roma

When Lazio played Livorno, a team known for its left-wing following, Di Canio also raised his arm in a fascist salute. Whilst the Livorno fans chanted anti-fascist songs, visiting Lazio “Irriducibili” Ultras held up a swastika banner.

Particularly outraged by Di Canio’s salute were various Jewish groups within Italy, including the president of the Italian Maccabi Federation, Vittorio Pavoncello who called on Lazio and the Italian authorities to take action.

However, in a display of abject antisemitism, Di Canio replied arrogantly to the criticism declaring: “If we are in the hands of the Jewish community it’s the end”.

If that evidence wasn't enough, a further photograph of Di Canio wearing a T-Shirt with a well-known fascist slogan has emerged.

The photo, taken circa 2008, shows a relaxed Di Canio enjoying a glass of wine with a friend. The slogan on Di Canio's T-shirt, however, reads "Dio, Patria, Famiglia" which translates as “God, Country & Family”, a popular slogan used by supporters of the Mussolini regime since the 1920s and still used today by supporters of right-wing extremist parties in Italy.

We managed to track down the T-shirt to a pro-Mussolini website named Ferlandia Predappio which specializes in far-right tat. In case, any readers are unaware, Predappio was Mussolini’s birthplace of Mussolini.

The T-shirt on sale on a pro-Mussolini website

The T-shirt on sale on a pro-Mussolini website

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 | There are 9 comments

Comments

Comment 1 | From: B31 Antifascist | Date: 8 April 2013, 15:05

'We all agree that fascism and nazism is bad' and then proceeds to relay principles central to the fascist and nazi creed, ending with any racists' favourite sentence. What a hypocritical oaf you are, dear Francis!!!

Comment 2 | From: alan constable | Date: 6 April 2013, 20:25

They can't hang you for what you are thinking! He will need to prove himself on the field and by his actions. or we move to a situation where you are assumed guilty and barred from applying for or working for anyone until the conventional wisdom about them has changed. Sounds like discrimination to me! (still think it was a poor decision politically but one that may work on the field)

Comment 3 | From: mick c | Date: 5 April 2013, 14:50

Judge the man how he conducts his self doing the job in hand, hes a great manager and wears his heart on his sleeve and passionate about the game. he isnt racist maybe he does have some facist views. this is becoming a witch hunt, his political views or beliefs should be not in question , give the guy a break ,i believe hes not a bad guy bit hotheaded and has made poor judgements in the past . im jewish and i for one look foward to seeing what he can do in the premiership with sunderland (not sunderland supporter either)

Comment 4 | From: Paul | Date: 5 April 2013, 11:48

francis, your post here is a series of unjustified assertions. Marxism is nothing like fascism. It differs so absolutely and in so many ways that it's difficult to know how to start listing them, but perhaps it's enough just to say that marxism is about valuing all human beings equally, while fascism is about assumptions of superiority. The rest of what you say is equally baseless. Under the capitalist system you aren't even entitled to a home, never mind a homeland. You don't have any right to build a wall around a part of the world you happen to be born in and deny others the right to be there, and if you want to do so on racial grounds, that makes you a racist. An assertion of my own: multiculturalism is the best thing about the contemporary UK.

Comment 5 | From: Tony | Date: 5 April 2013, 10:33

'preserving their own culture' I will agree British culture is something we should be proud of. It is a culture of Muslim inspired architecture, Asian and African inspired food, Japanese technology, West Indian inspired music and sportsmen and women along with influences from all over the world into what is, and has always been, an immigrant nation. Hurrah for that!

Comment 6 | From: Dave | Date: 5 April 2013, 09:31

I look forward to the day when I can return the favour, and the next time a huge striker goes feral in your town centre, smashing up his girlfriend, a night-club and/or another random woman then we can condemn him together. And if ever your team employs players with history of (violent) racism, escaping imprisonment but being convicted of a "savage and racist attack" then I know you will do the right thing. Your actions and statements this week have showed me that. Besides, someone with occasional principles is worse than someone with no principles, don’t you think?

One huge positive this week is that I’m pleased to have discovered the Hope Not Hate website (I wish the circumstances were happier), though I note with sadness that it is an inappropriate name for the football supporter: famously, "it’s the hope that kills you" – ask any football supporter.

Comment 7 | From: Dave | Date: 5 April 2013, 08:04

With genuine deep regret I have to take a stand on my principles distance myself from a club I have support for almost 40 years. It’s simple. I have always supported any stand against oppression, and my personal ethics mean that I have to continue that. It’s debatable whether De Canio knew the real impact of what he was doing and saying, (I think that’s probably been explained to him since then.) but that doesn’t matter. I’m very angry with at Ellis Short and De Canio for putting me in this position. I expect I will go off and support Arsenal or someone else in no danger of winning anything (old habits die hard) until De Canio departs. During a few local conversations this week with supporters of other teams, many of whom I never suspected of having principles, I have been pleasantly surprised at the degree of outcry against De Canio’s appointment. It heartens me to see that despite our football differences we can stand firm together. I look forward to the day when I can return the favour, and the next time a huge striker goes feral in your town centre, smashing up his girlfriend, a night-club and/or another random woman then we can condemn him together. And if ever your team employs players with history of (violent) racism, escaping conviction but being convicted of a “savage and racist attack” then I know you will do the right thing. Your actions and statement this week have showed me that. Besides, someone with occasional principles is worse than someone with no principles, don’t you think? One huge positive this week is that I’m pleased to have discovered the Hope Not Hate website (I wish the circumstances were happier), though I note with sadness that it is an inappropriate name for the football supporter: famously, “it’s the hope that kills you” – ask any football supporter.

Comment 8 | From: francis | Date: 4 April 2013, 21:43

We all agree that fascism and nazism is bad. My ancestors fought in both WWI and WWII, however Di Canio has never put anyone in a gas chamber or anything like that. Yes he was irresponsible, but so can anyone. You really need to act in balanced way and highlight the evils of communism and marxism which are of course not much different to fascism. I agree that anti-Semitism is unpleasant but most of it in europe comes from the muslim community. Israel is a country that has put its own ethnic Jewish people first, they deported many Black South Sudanese, so why can't we in the western world put our own indigenous people first. Why must we be forced to accept mass immigration, while Asia and Africa are not. Why promote Black culture and African self determination, but call any white person a racist or nazi for simply wanting their own homeland and preserving their own culture. I trust that you will publish this comment, I understand that it is against the grain of your thinking but the problem of mass immigration and multiculturalism must be tackled without the unpleasantries. A race war will likely happen in the UK and the rest of europe whether it or not.

Comment 9 | From: Canada Goose Hybridge Hoody | Date: 14 December 2013, 22:07

The Republicans feared Ron Paul. That?? why they made sure he didn?? make the ballot. Ron?? not a typical Republican, but to get his voice heard, he made sure to run Republican. I know plenty of Liberals who liked him. As much as they agreed with him, they couldn??. Just cause he ran as a Republican. Hell, I?? vote for Nader if he disguised himself as a Democrat. Canada Goose Hybridge Hoody http://www.rddeng.com/categories/choose/parka.aspx?6

You can comment on this article here (All fields required)

Your name

Your email (in case we need to contact you, it will not be displayed)

Comment (please note this needs to be approved by an administrator)

| top | back | home |