Below is an archived edition of Ctrl Alt Right Delete, a weekly email newsletter. This edition was published on 05/28/2017. Members of Factual Democracy Project have access to past editions. Subscribe to Ctrl Alt Right Delete.
Given the holiday weekend, this week’s Ctrl Alt Right Delete is super short. I hope your weekend has been relaxing so far and that you’re so busy enjoying time with family and friends you won’t notice this email immediately when it hits your inbox. Relax and enjoy. You’ve earned it.
Important #TrumpRussia Quote
“I encountered and am aware of information and intelligence that revealed contacts and interactions between Russian officials and U.S. persons involved in the Trump campaign that I was concerned about because of known Russian efforts to suborn such individuals. It raised questions in my mind about whether Russia was able to gain the cooperation of those individuals. I don’t know whether such collusion existed.”
-John Brennan, Former CIA Director, testifying to the House Intelligence Committee last week.
Important Quote for Political Operatives
“Trump’s digital team was also aided by the candidate’s unbridled use of Twitter, by WikiLeaks, by fake news generators like Breitbart, and by an army of so-called “Twitter bots,” automated Twitter accounts—many of which are thought to have emanated from Russia and at least one thousand of which the neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer claimed to have created. Together, all this sent a river of pro-Trump and anti-Clinton messages coursing into cyberspace, giving the Trump campaign a continually self-reinforcing narrative.”
-Sue Halpern, How He Used Facebook to Win.
Jam Packed ICYMI Linky Goodness
- There are bots. Look around.
- Hiding in plain sight: how the ‘alt-right’ is weaponizing irony to spread fascism
- The complicated origin of the Seth Rich conspiracy theory
- Trump’s week from hell was Facebook gold
- My month with chemtrails conspiracy theorists
- How one pro-Trump site keeps a debunked conspiracy theory alive
- The West is pushing back on Kremlin lies—without America
- “Who’s your 4chan correspondent?” (and other questions Storyful thinks newsrooms should be asking after the French election)
- The many faces of a botnet
Before You Go
If you’re craving more Ctrl Alt Right Delete be sure to like the Facebook page. I post articles and screenshots all week, much of which doesn’t end up in the newsletter. You can also find several past newsletter articles on Medium.
Thank you Nicole Belle, who volunteers her time to copy edit this newsletter every week. You can find her on Twitter here. That’s a wrap for this week.