WTF Big Tech?!
The first Ctrl Alt-Right Delete podcast exclusively for Patreon members (Bronze and above) is now live! HOPE not hate’s Joe Mulhall and I talk about the crucial role social media platforms play in spreading hate. We recorded this before NZ but it feels especially timely this week in light of Big Tech’s role in helping a mass murderer spread hate and extremism to a global audience.
Thank you for your continued support. We couldn’t do it without you. – Melissa
Identitarianism: The Inherently Dangerous Ideology that Influenced the Christchurch Killer
by Simon Murdoch
Away from the internet culture references and trolling found in the Christchurch murderer’s manifesto, were numerous implicit and explicit references to key elements of the “identitarian” political ideology. At its core, identitarianism espouses the view that non-white and, especially, Muslim migrants pose an intrinsic threat to white, non-Muslim people. Identitarians also say: Get active or be “replaced” by migrants. It’s no surprise some take this as a call to violent action.
Like Ctrl Alt-Right Delete? Subscribe to receive the newsletter every Sunday in your inbox.
Brain Force for Brits: Is Alex Jones Launching An InfoWars Copy in the UK?
from the HOPE not hate research team
Paul Joseph Watson, editor of InfoWars, has announced that he will soon be launching a new venture. However, HOPE not hate has long heard strong rumours within the UK far right that Alex Jones has been keen to break the UK and European markets and is ready to invest big this side of the Atlantic, begging the question, is this Jones’ plan finally coming to fruition?
- A new report from social media tracking company NewsWhip has shown the effects of Facebook’s turn towards “meaningful interactions”. As NiemanLab highlight, “It has pushed up articles on divisive topics like abortion, religion, and guns; politics rules; and the “angry” reaction (😡) dominates many pages, with “Fox News driving the most angry reactions of anyone, with nearly double that of anyone else.”
- Nazis Have Always Been Trolls (The Atlantic)
- How A QAnon Conspiracy Theorist’s Claims Of TSA ‘Mind Control’ Made Trump’s Twitter Feed (Huffington Post)
- Facebook: Our AI failed to catch the New Zealand shooter video (CNN)
- Locating The Netherlands’ Most Wanted Criminal By Scrutinising Instagram (Bellingcat)
- Kidfluencers’ Rampant YouTube Marketing Creates Minefield for Google (Bloomberg)
- The Death of Fascist Irony (The New Republic)
- Tech Platforms Obliterated ISIS Online — And Let White Nationalism Flourish. Is It Too Late To Stop? (Buzzfeed)
Want even more links? Support us on Patreon to receive a second ICYMI Patreon post just for CARD members.
Iowa Readers: Come see me next week at The Future of US Politics: Looking Ahead to 2020 at the University of Iowa, Wednesday, March 27, 2019 – 7:00pm to 9:00pm. “Join us for a thoughtful discussion of politics in the United States and the future of the Democratic and Republican parties from left, right and analytical perspectives. Featuring Melissa Ryan of Ctrl Alt-Right Delete, Chris Buskirk of American Greatness, and Tamara Keith of NPR.” Be sure to say hello too. I love meeting CARD readers!
Like Ctrl Alt-Right Delete? Share the love and forward this email to a friend or colleague. Was this email forwarded to you? Subscribe to receive the newsletter every Sunday in your inbox.
Happy March Madness and talk to you next week!